Questions To Ask a Private School
The effects of the global pandemic have been far-reaching. Western North Carolina has certainly weathered many challenges in the past year or more. Nevertheless, the region has continued to experience substantial growth. Our area has been among the fastest-growing in the state since the turn of the century. If anything, the pandemic has attracted even more people to Asheville and Buncombe County. Many found social distancing claustrophobic in larger urban areas. We offer the perfect balance of big-city amenities and untouched wilderness. Properties have been selling sight-unseen throughout the mountains, with people deciding if they must work remotely, they would like to at least have a view.
The quality of education in our area is astounding considering our size. Nevertheless, many parents are searching for alternatives to traditional public education. As you explore private schools in the area, we want to help you ask the right questions before making your choice.
6 Key Questions for Private Schools in Asheville, NC
1. What is your mission? Our mission is to prepare children For Today, For Tomorrow, Forever. We accomplish our mission by saturating students with the gospel while providing rigorous academics.
2. What curriculum do you use? ELS is the only Christian parochial school in western North Carolina providing a STEAM-based curriculum. STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics.
3. What is your average class size? Our classes are between 10-15 students. Small class sizes provide opportunities for individual attention and help for each student.
4. What are your religious affiliations? We are associated with the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod. We believe that the Bible is inerrant and infallible, salvation comes by grace through faith in the gospel, and that God is Triune.
5. What extracurricular activities do you offer? ELS provides excellent athletic programs as well as fine arts and theater opportunities.
6. What should parents know about student life? In addition to our commitment to the gospel and rigorous academics, our students benefit from a number of activities, including:
- Weekly chapel services
- Academic field trips to Washington D.C. and the Outer Banks
- Multiple service projects through the year
- A number of Academic fairs and competitions
- Celebrations such as Grandparents’ Day and Pep Rallies
- Athletics, Fine Arts, and Theater opportunities
At Emmanuel Lutheran School, you can trust our commitment to providing the highest quality education for your preschool through eighth-graders. We want to make sure they are prepared for their next phases of academics and life. If you would like answers to these and other questions from the team at Emmanuel Lutheran School, we would be happy to help. Contact us for more information about our school or to schedule a tour.