Buncombe County is a county located in the western part of North Carolina. It is situated in the Appalachian Mountains region and is known for its stunning natural beauty, including the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Great Smoky Mountains.
What You Need To Know About Buncombe County, NC
Here are some key facts and information about Buncombe County, NC:
- County Seat: The county seat of Buncombe County is Asheville, which is also the largest city in the county and serves as a cultural and economic hub for western North Carolina.
- History: Buncombe County was established in 1791 and was named after Edward Buncombe, a colonel in the American Revolutionary War. Asheville, the county seat, was founded in 1797.
- Geography: The county is characterized by its mountainous terrain, with elevations ranging from around 2,000 to over 6,000 feet (609 to 1,828 meters) above sea level. It is part of the Southern Appalachian region and offers numerous opportunities for outdoor activities, including hiking, biking, and camping.
- Tourism: Buncombe County is a popular tourist destination, particularly in the Asheville area. Visitors come to enjoy the natural beauty of the Blue Ridge Parkway, explore the Biltmore Estate (the largest privately-owned house in the United States), and experience the vibrant arts and culture scene in Asheville.
- Economy: The economy of Buncombe County is diverse, with sectors such as tourism, healthcare, education, and manufacturing playing important roles. Asheville is home to several universities and colleges, including the University of North Carolina at Asheville.
- Culture and Arts: Asheville is known for its thriving arts community, with numerous galleries, music venues, and theaters. It's often considered an eclectic and creative city, attracting artists, musicians, and writers.
- Education: Buncombe County is served by a public school system with several elementary, middle, and high schools. In addition to the public schools, there are also private and charter school options. The county is also home to colleges and universities, including the aforementioned University of North Carolina at Asheville.
- Healthcare: Asheville has several major healthcare facilities, including Mission Hospital, which is one of the largest in the region.
- Outdoor Recreation: With its proximity to the Appalachian Mountains, Buncombe County offers a wide range of outdoor activities, including hiking, mountain biking, white-water rafting, and skiing in the nearby winter resorts.
- Festivals: The county hosts various festivals and events throughout the year, celebrating its culture, music, food, and arts. One of the most famous events is the Biltmore Estate's Christmas celebration, which attracts visitors from all over.
Buncombe County, NC, is known for its scenic beauty, cultural vibrancy, and outdoor recreational opportunities. It's a place where residents and visitors can enjoy a mix of natural splendor and urban amenities in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains.
Emmanuel Lutheran School, STEAM School in Buncombe County
Emmanuel Lutheran School is an accredited preschool and K-8 preparatory school that provides an academically challenging, Christ-centered education in a caring environment. Our mission is to prepare children For Today, For Tomorrow, Forever.
We exist to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. In order to accomplish this in an educational setting, Emmanuel provides a Christ-centered rigorous education for all children, churched and un-churched, without distinction to socio-economic status, race, national or ethnic origin, or religious creed.
Our core values at Emmanuel Lutheran School are:
- Scripture Alone – God’s revelation of Himself, through the inerrant Word of His Law and Gospel in the Bible, to His most loved creation, man.
- Grace Alone – Only by the empowering grace of God can we hope to approach and understand our Creator. His greatest evidence of grace to us is found in His Son, Jesus Christ.
- Faith Alone – Having begun to see the greatness of God’s love for us as understood in His Word through the gracious intention of His will, our faithful response comes in areas such as:
- Our belief in the saving death and resurrection of Jesus Christ
- Our realization of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit
- Our foundation that life is of God and, as such, is always precious
- Our worship of God is active through both corporate fellowship and daily devotions and prayer, and our giving back to God with all that we have and do
- Our relationships with each other are extensions of God’s love
- Our excitement over His love for us compels us to make disciples of all
- Our integrity is seen in every one of our actions
If you live in the Buncombe County area of North Carolina and would like additional information about enrolling your child in our private Christian school, contact us today.