Watch for these 10 characteristics of a quality kindergarten program:
- Children who are playing and working with materials or other children. They are not aimlessly wandering or forced to sit quietly for long periods of time.
- Children have access to various activities throughout the day, such as block building, pretend play, picture books, paints and other art materials, and table toys such as legos, pegboards, and puzzles. Children are not all doing the same things at the same time.
- Teachers work with individual children, small groups, and the whole group at different times during the day. They do not spend time only with the entire group. Teachers are actively engaged with the students.
- The classroom is decorated with children’s original artwork, their own writing with invented spelling, and dictated stories.
- Children learn numbers and the alphabet in the context of their everyday experiences. Exploring the natural world of plants and animals, cooking, taking attendance, and serving snack are all meaningful activities to children.
- Children work on projects and have long periods of time to play and explore (at least one hour). Filling out worksheets should not be their primary activity.
- Children have an opportunity to play outside every day that weather permits. This play is never sacrificed for more instructional time.
- Teachers read books to children throughout the day, not just at group story time.
- Curriculum is adapted for those who are ahead as well as those who need additional help. Because children differ in experiences and background, they do not learn the same things at the same time in the same way.
- Children and their parents look forward to school. Parents feel safe sending their child to kindergarten. Children are happy; They are not crying or regularly sick.
ELS has an exceptional Kindergarten and elementary education program. We pray that you would consider our program for the next step in your child’s education.
If you have any questions or would like to tour our facility, please contact us and we would be thrilled to answer any questions!