- Gospel-Centered Education Glorifies God
- The Gospel is the Cornerstone of Education
- Jesus Practiced Gospel-Centered Education
- Christian Private Schools are Statistically Safer
In this article, we will continue our list of reasons we believe parents would be wise to choose private, Christian education for their children:
5) Gospel-Centered Schools Provide Students with Supportive Christian Community
At Emmanuel Lutheran School, our teachers are committed to teaching and demonstrating the gospel to our students. Our faculty, staff, volunteers, and parents provide children with a supportive, gospel-centered community. We share one another joys, burdens, sorrows, and triumphs:
And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us.
1 John 3:23
Finally, brothers, rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another, agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.
-2 Corinthians 13:11
6) Private Schools Have Smaller Class Sizes
On average, private schools have as many as 40% fewer students per classroom than public schools. At Emmanuel Lutheran, class sizes range from 15 to 20 students, compared to the national average of 25 or more. On their website, the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) note several key benefits of smaller class sizes including:
- Academic Performance: Students who experience smaller class sizes are typically two months or more ahead of their peers in each subject.Literacy: Especially for at-risk students, smaller class sizes tend to facilitate higher literacy rates.
- Student Participation: Students engage with their teachers and peers more often when class sizes are smaller.
- Future Success: “Researchers have found that reducing class size can influence socioeconomic factors including earning potential, improved citizenship, and decreased crime and welfare dependence.”
- Teacher Retention: Teachers in smaller classes are less likely to experience burnout and leave the profession. In North Carolina, where teacher salaries have remained mostly stagnant for many years, we are proud to lower our class room sizes and provide our teachers with more opportunities to engage with their students.
7) Proper Theology is Key to a Child’s Education
It is important what your children think and believe regarding math, science, and literature; however, what they think about God will shape their lives more than any other subject. What your children believe about God and the Bible will shape the way in which they answer the greatest questions they will face, including:
- What is my purpose? According to the Westminster Catechism, the answer is to glorify God and enjoy him forever.
- How Should I Treat Others? In Genesis, the Scriptures explain that people were created in the image of God (Genesis 1-2). Jesus said, “Love your neighbor as you love yourself.”
- What is my greatest goal? The Missio Dei (mission of God) is to spread the gospel to the nations, all the peoples of the world. God commissions Christians to make disciples all over the world (Matthew 28:18-20).
- What should I do with my money? Proper theology helps students view finances as a gift of God to be stewarded well and used to advance his kingdom (1 Corinthians 8-9).
- Should I care about the environment? The earth itself is given to man to be nurtured, stewarded well (Genesis 1-2), until it is redeemed (Revelation 21:1-5).
Effective theological study will help your children will find healthy answers to these and other important questions. Gospel-centered private schools elevate your child’s theological education.
8) Gospel-Centered Students are Missional
The mission of God will be accomplished. People from every tribe, tongue, and nation will be represented in the Kingdom of God (Revelation 7:9-10). Gospel-centered schools integrate the good news of Jesus and the mission of God into your child’s education, instilling a passion for Christian missions.
If you would like more information about gospel-centered education in Asheville, NC, contact us. Emmanuel Lutheran School is a private, Christian school, teaching students the importance of the good news of Jesus as part of a well-rounded education.