National Junior Honor Society
The National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) is open to all 6th, 7th, and 8th graders who demonstrate the character traits of Scholarship, Service, Leadership, Citizenship, and Character.
In order to be eligible, a student must:
- earn 90% or higher semester grade point average. This means they must have more A's than B's, or equal A's & B's on their report card with no grade lower than a B. If a student falls below an 85% in a 9 week grading period, they will be placed on academic probation and must bring up those grades to remain eligible.
- perform twelve hours of documented service. The service must be for the good of others,(not parents) and can not be for profit. Service hours must be completed outside of the regular school day. Any service performed from June until hours are due in mid-January can count towards the required 12 hours.
- demonstrate leadership, citizenship, and character either through a school-based club or organization, faith-based community, athletic team or outside their immediate family.
There is no application or membership form to fill out. Any student who turns in a service hour form will have his/her grades and discipline record checked. If the academic and character requirements are met, that student will receive an acceptance letter.
The following activities could be used to earn service hours:
- Johnston Elementary School - any items you bring in that we are collecting for them throughout the school year
- Volunteer to help with Oktoberfest, Thanksgiving Dinner or any church and/or school function
- Work in the yard or around the house of a neighbor or family friend (not parents) mowing, raking leaves, pulling weeds, vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, washing windows, washing cars, etc..
- Stay after a home game event and/or tournaments to help clean up
- Help clean up the church and school grounds
- Volunteer at Manna Food Bank, ABCCM, WNC Rescue Mission, etc... through a youth group or as an individual
- Volunteer hours through your church or youth group
- Community charities such as Eblen, Toys for Tots, etc...