ELS At A Glance
Statement of Purpose
Emmanuel Lutheran School provides an academically challenging, Christ-centered education in a caring environment. Our mission is to prepare children For Today, For Tomorrow, Forever.
Emmanuel Lutheran School exists to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. In order to accomplish this in an educational setting, Emmanuel provides a Christ-centered rigorous education for all children, churched and un-churched, without distinction to socio-economic status, race, national or ethnic origin or religious creed. We believe that Emmanuel Lutheran School equips our children to succeed in their academic pursuits, and to become productive members of church and society.
Emmanuel Lutheran School (ELS) began in 1958 and is a private Christian school in Asheville, NC, serving students from infants through eighth grade. The school is affiliated with Emmanuel Lutheran Church, which is a member of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.
The church continues to provide both prayerful and financial support of the school.
ELS’s faculty is both experienced and dedicated. Each K-8 teacher has a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree. Teachers have a professional plan to focus on individual skill development as well as a personal dedication to continually strengthen the school’s overall academic program.
A majority of the ELS student body resides in Buncombe County. ELS parents are those in search of a highly academic and Christ-centered school for their children. One-third of ELS students are members of Emmanuel Lutheran Church; the remaining two-thirds are members at other area churches or are looking for a church home.
Purple and White
Class Size Capacity
K-8th grade: 15-20 students in each class
National Lutheran Schools Accreditation (NLSA) and AdvancEd
At ELS, we are driven by four guiding principles:
Integrating God’s Word – ELS’s faculty and staff strive to lead by example, believing that by demonstrating Christ-like love, our students will grow up more confident and eager to do the same.
Building Meaningful Relationships – Just as fostering a life-long relationship with Christ is at the core of our values, families also discover meaningful bonds throughout their ELS experience with teachers, other families, and students.
Discovering the Students – Whether a student is a natural leader or prefers a supporting role, we believe that every child is created by God and has a purpose for his or her life.
Refining the Experience – At ELS, we perform ongoing self-evaluation and encourage input from our students and families, which allows us to better serve our student body.
What Do Lutherans Believe?
Lutherans believe that:
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God – it is absolute truth;
- God is one God in three persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit;
- God the Father sent His only Son, Jesus Christ, to die for all people. When He rose from the dead, Christ overcame sin, death, and the devil and made possible eternal life in Heaven for all who believe in Him;
- God sent the Holy Spirit to empower all believers to live their lives according to His Word.
Lutheran Core Values
- Scripture Alone – God’s revelation of Himself, through the inerrant Word of His Law and Gospel in the Bible, to His most loved creation-man.
- Grace Alone – Only by the empowering grace of God can we hope to approach and understand our Creator. His greatest evidence of grace to us is found in His Son Jesus Christ.
- Faith Alone – Having begun to see the greatness of God’s love for us as understood in His Word through the gracious intention of His will, our faithful response comes in areas such as:
–Our belief in the saving death and resurrection of Jesus Christ
–Our realization of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit
–Our foundation that life is of God and as such is always precious
–Our worship of God is active through both corporate fellowship and daily devotions and prayer, and our giving back to God with all that we have and do
–Our relationships with each other are extensions of God’s love
–Our excitement over His love for us compels us to make disciples of all
–Our integrity is seen in every one of our actions.